About Dr. G. Andrew Helms
Dr. Helms is a board-certified thoracic surgeon with over a decade of extensive experience performing minimally invasive thoracoscopic procedures including, lung resections, decortications, as well as robotic-assisted mediastinal surgery and esophagectomies.
He specializes in treating patients with lung cancer, empyemas, spontaneous pneumothorax and malignant pleural effusions.
Dr. Helms earned his Bachelor of Science in aerospace engineering with honors from Georgia Institute of Technology and went on to complete his Master of Science in aeronautics and astronautics at Stanford University. As an engineer, he was fascinated
by surgery, which propelled him to become a thoracic surgeon. Dr. Helms has authored multiple articles that have been featured in The Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
Dr. Helms practices out of our Canton, Blairsville and Marietta offices.
Education & Training
- Medical Education: University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL
- Internship: Surgery, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- Residency: General Surgery, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
- Residency: Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
- Fellowship: Thoracic Surgery, University Of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
Certifications & Affiliations
- Board Certified: American Board of Surgery
- Board Certified: American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians
- Member, Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- Lung cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Tracheal disorders
- Substeral goiter
- Esophageal disorders
- Chest wall tumors
- Pleural disorders
- Thymic disorders
- Pulmonary metastases
- Spontaneous pneumothorax
- Pleural infections/empyema
Northside Provider Directory Details
View Dr. G. Andrew Helms's profile in the Northside Hospital Physician Directory
Northside Lung Nodule Clinic
Dr. Helms is excited to be a part of Northside Hospital’s Lung Nodule Clinic. The Lung Nodule Clinic is designed to help diagnose, monitor and treat patients with previously identified or suspected lung nodules.
Ready for an Appointment?
To make an appointment with Dr. Helms or to refer a patient patient (Press 3 for Dr. Helm’s Staff) call: